Thursday, January 31, 2008

second week...ups and downs

So I was actually wrong about the showers, there is a hot water tap that I didn’t know about at the top of the tap, so I was showering in the cold for a little bit, but I don’t mind, it builds character!
This weekend we finished up the Family Festival at the church, it was fun. I made friends with theses two little girls over the 3 days, they were my dancing partners. The one was so cute she has the biggest smile, and she stood out to me because she was very giving and sharing. I also gave away my sandals to a girl who didn’t have any, and then found out that we were going to walk home. But don’t worry, I borrowed guy’s shoes, and he walked in his socks. Check out some of the pictures on my facebook.
Our first lecture of the week was very good, a guy talked to us who is from the Congo, and he had a very very powerful testimony. I won’t repeat it all, but he talked to us about how he was a child soldier and how he made his way on foot from the Congo all the way to South Africa. (It’s a very long way, just look at a map) The things that he saw and went through are amazing, and it was very touching to personally hear from someone who experienced the things he has. And to see where he is now and how he has been changed by God is very inspiring.
I am finding my hidden talent in playing guitar. Since we are all together on this base it is very hard to find alone time – much needed alone time. And since I am a girl I can’t go out alone, so I go find a place to sit down and play guitar by myself and make up a song or whatever, since I do no have a piano, and I really miss my piano, but guitar is working for me for the time being. J It’s amazing how music can change around a mood in a second.
Today (wed) we had a really good teaching about worship and different kinds of worship, and I just want to share some things…
People are created to worship, and everyone worships something or someone, even if you don’t know it
Don’t worship worldly things – what you worship you become like
Worship is NOT all about music...do not start worshipping the instruments.
Worship comes in different forms – if you start worshipping a form you get stuck
Real worship cannot be explained, it is experienced
Worship is life

Some pointers that I thought were good.
Today we also did a kidzone thing, and there were a lot of kids! We have a team from Germany here doing some outreach for a week or so, and so they did some songs and stuff. It was so brutal walking around the community gathering kids…it was SO hot out it felt like we were walking forever. Then it was so hot in the building as well. But fun overall, I met the same girl from the church that I met on the weekend, so that was so nice! We had the evening off today, so I played some volleyball before dinner and beach after dinner, so that was fun.

2 comments:

grandma said...

Hey, sup Tierney

this is Heidi. I'm helping Grandma send you a little letter.

Signing out

Heidi

grandma said...

Hi Sweetheart We are praying for you all the time. What an awsome experience you are having. Keep your eyes on the Lord. We do appreciate all the info and your happenings. Be encouraged Keep your happy face for the little children, You are a blessing to them. our love to you,xxoo Grandma in Sask, -35c is our temp.